Sunday, September 16, 2007

Self Feeding


Joshua continues to be introduced to new solid foods so far he has tried the following:

Cereals: Rice, Oatmeal, Barley
Vegetables: Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Green Beans
Fruit: Apples, Pears, Banana, Mango
Meats: Chicken, Turkey

I am still making the majority of his foods, the one that has proven to be the most painful to prepare is the bananas as they can't be frozen and need to be served fresh and I found that I was just wasting a lot unnecessarily. I tried using the jarred bananas and discovered that they all contain citric acid, which is not recommend introducing until the baby is a few months older than Joshua is. I found a nice compromise, the mesh feeder, I break off a piece of fresh banana put it in the mesh feeder and let Joshua suck on it until he is done. He is not completely sure about what he is doing with it and ends up spending more time sucking on the handle but once I turn it the right way for his he is quite happy!

While bananas were the most painful to prepare I have found the preparation of meats to be grossest and the jarred varieties aren't any better. They more resemble cat food than anything else. I am going to give it one more shot, this time instead of boiling the meat, I am going to try and steam it. A good compromise to the meats is find ones with vegetables in them, however since we haven't introduced a huge selection of vegetables its slim picking the only suitable mixture I have found at this point is the Turkey and Sweet potatoes and Joshua does it, which is more than I can say for the plain chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment